- PhD Physics – University of Cambridge, UK
- BA Natural Sciences (Hons) – University of Cambridge, UK
- Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice – Bristol University, UK
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice – College of Law, UK
- Diploma in Law – College of Law, UK
|Derek has considerable national and international experience across all aspects of intellectual property law. He has represented companies across a broad range of industry sectors including electronics, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, heavy industry, consumer goods and fashion. |
Derek has a significant patent and trade mark litigation practice and has represented clients in both the Australian Federal Court and the UK Patents Court. His work has often involved European, US and South East Asian companies in multi-jurisdictional IP disputes which has given him significant experience of cross-border IP issues. He has extensive experience in anti-counterfeiting and regularly advises on and helps implement comprehensive and effective IP brand strategies and enforcement campaigns.
Derek also has considerable commercial experience with a strong focus on IP strategy, commercialisation and licensing.
Derek gained nine years’ experience working at leading UK specialist IP firm Bristows before relocating to Australia in 2007. With a strong technical background, he is well placed to understand the subject matter underlying his clients’ technology and intellectual property. He regularly gives presentations and writes articles on topical intellectual property issues.
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand – member
- Chartered Physicist
- Patent Litigation
- Trade Mark Enforcement
- Confidential Information
- Biotechnology Patent Litigation Disputes
- IP Litigation
- IP Licensing and Commercialisation
- Anti Counterfeiting
- Patent Infringement & Revocation