|Counterfeiting and piracy are major global concerns, costing brand owners up to an estimated $600 billion annually. The presence of counterfeit goods in the local market not only impacts on sales of genuine goods but can also significantly damage the reputation of a brand, particularly if it becomes associated with poor quality imitation products.|
Griffith Hack has a dedicated anti-counterfeiting team with extensive experience in acting for brand owners against counterfeiters and importers and distributors of counterfeit goods. Our team works with a wide network of external law enforcement agencies to identify, prevent and, where necessary, initiate proceedings against counterfeiters and others involved in their operations.
Our expertise covers a broad range of industries including entertainment, automotive, high fashion, athletic apparel, footwear, accessories, sporting goods, cosmetics and beauty, toys, food and beverages and other fast moving consumer goods. Our team is backed up by international expertise from around the world, supporting major multinational companies to protect their branded products from counterfeiters.
|Our services include:|
- Developing and implementing anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy strategies;
- Advising in relation to copyright, trade mark infringement, passing off and breaches of competition and consumer legislation;
- Working with Australian and New Zealand Customs to stop counterfeit goods entering the Australian and New Zealand markets, including lodging copyright and trade mark Notices of Objection, managing seizures and forfeitures of counterfeit goods by importers and providing training to Customs officers to recognise counterfeit copies of our clients’ products;
- Managing enforcement campaigns for clients, including preparing and issuing letters of demand, obtaining written undertakings from infringers and organising the delivery up or destruction of counterfeit goods;
- Negotiating the payment of damages or an account of profits by infringers, where appropriate;
- Acting for brand owners in civil proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia against counterfeiters and importers and distributors of counterfeit goods;
- Applying to the Federal Court for Anton Piller orders (search and seizure orders) and organising and conducting search and seizure operations against suspected counterfeiters;
- Advising in relation to the “grey area” of parallel imports.
|Click here for our Anti-Counterfeiting brochure|